My birthday was on September 3rd and as it was approaching Ryan asked the typical question of, "What do you want for your birthday?" I answered with a very typical and often heard response of, "You already know and I've told you a thousand times." As is standard for my poor husband, he was racking his brain trying very hard to think of what I had told him previously. We finally had a little guessing game and he said, "Oh a pet, I should have known." Now, I'll be very honest, I wanted a dog. And our landlords here do allow pets but we do live in a small condo. It is bigger than our Provo apartment but still small. We are actually in the process of going through everything and finding as many space saving ways to arrange things as possible. I am actually very impressed with our progress. So, if you ever visit us, our apartment might not be the most aestetically pleasing but we are using the space in it the most wisely anyone ever has. With all these preparations going on, our budget, and with Peanut on the way, I grudgingly agreed with Ryan that a dog might not be the best choice for us right now. But, I still wouldn't settle for not having a pet.
So, we looked up all the different small pets you can have. I never realized what some people keep as pets. Did you know you can have a skunk as a pet, you just get its stink glads removed. Weird, huh? Anyway, we were going to get a Chinchilla and I was pretty set on that. But, it was still going to be kind of expensive and they have huge cages. While I was researching I checked craigs list and found two different guinea pigs with all supplies for $15 each. This is a steal for a cage and all accesories. I also would be able to pick it up on my birthday weekend, meaning I wouldn't have to wait a few months to gather all the supplies, etc. I loved the coloring of one of them so I talked to Ryan and he said we'll why don't you see if you can get both of them. I didn't want to seperate them since they were living with the same family. I got a response saying that Bailey (the one I liked the coloring of) was already spoken for. I was a bit sad. But, the email also said that Truffles the other guinea pig was still avaliable. I didn't know what to do. This was later at night so we got into bed and I was feeling really bad for Truffles because she didn't have a home. I kept telling Ryan that I felt bad and then I finally said, I want to give Truffles a home. He said, "Okay!" So I hopped out of bed and went to email the guy back to say we would still take her.
Now, you have to understand that the picture of Truffles that we had seen was not the best. She actually just looked like she was having a bad hair day all over. Ryan and I looked at her picture many times and laughed everytime because she just looked a little funky. I'm so glad now that we didn't base our judgement solely on that.
So, on September 4th we went to pick up Truffles. She is the sweetest guinea pig and when I pet her she purrs, kinda like a cat. She doesn't do this for anyone else, which is kinda fun. Ryan keeps saying I have the magic touch. Truffles has some calics in her hair and that is why she looked in the pictures like she was having a bad hair day. But, really I love the way she looks. She just has so much character. She is so sweet and even lets Owen pet her when he isn't the most gentle. Owen actually loves to watch her. He will just sit by her cage and watch her. He has gotten a little more brave now and sometimes tries to jostle her cage so we have had a few time outs for that. But, for the most part everything is going great.
So, we wanted to welcome the newest member of our family, Truffles! And I wanted to personally thank Truffles for helping me not be the only female in our family:)
On the way to pick up Truffles, I was very excited, can you tell?!
And Ryan was excited as well. I know he wasn't as excited as me, but I was impressed that he was actually looking forward to it. He does like Truffles incase you were wondering.
I'm such a proud Mama!
The PROUD parents!
Our newest family photo!
Meeting Chase for the first time. Chase actually really liked her, I was surprised. I would still never leave them alone together, but he really wanted to play with her. I think he misses Sadie and just wanted a friend.
The whole weekend we were at my parents and he would stay by her every waking second. I think this picture is so cute since she climbed up to see him as well.
At one point we found Chase like this trying to play with her, what a bad dog! And, no he isn't usually allowed on the table!


No comments:
Post a Comment