Smiling Each and Everyday Through Forever

Thursday, March 10, 2011

UH-OH!



Another baby already?! Ha ha, not quite but it sure did feel like it! About a week ago I passed a kidney stone. It was almost exactly 6 weeks after having Benson. So, I now consider myself an expert on the pains of labor and of kidney stones. Everyone keeps asking me which one is worse. And, I am going to quote my doctor on this one, "You just can't compare the two." I totally agree with that. I will say though that they sure do feel quite a bit similar. You just can't get an epidural with a kidney stone. But, then again you can't get the VERY STRONG medicine with a baby!

It looks like I am one of the chosen ones to experience these many times in my life. I think I have now passed about 7 kidney stones in my life time and the doctor tells me I have a lot more up there. Granite, not all of them are as big as others, but really what kidney stone is FUN?! And, something to do with just having had a baby(i.e. taking pre-natals that bulk up my calcium and nursing that dehydrates me) makes me get them. I had four after having Owen. I sure hope we don't have to set a record and beat that number this time around.

And, to complete the story I got the hospital wristband but didn't actually get admitted to the hospital. We learned from this little escapade which emergency room not to go to (we have 3 to choose from). We chose the wrong one or maybe the right one as our visit was FREE. But, don't be fooled that was because they took so stinkin' long to admit me that I passed the stone in the waiting room.

I sincerely hope we never meet anyone that we saw in that waiting room ever again as they saw me in a state that very few have ever seen, including my husband(do to random circumstance he has never been there when I have passed a big stone before). For those of you who have been through labor it was like I was going through the transition stage of labor right there in front of everyone. And, just like in labor with kidney stones it helps to change positions a lot so imagine those odd positions and that was me:) Haha, oh well, I'm glad that is over and I guess I should be proud of myself, this was the first big stone I've passed without any of the emergency room pain meds, YAY, ME! Although, I'll share with you a little secret, we've already met our deductible for the year, due to Benson's birth so it wouldn't have cost us a cent!

No comments:

Post a Comment