Smiling Each and Everyday Through Forever

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Am I A Bad Mommy?

So, I was just wondering why it is that no one tells you what to do when your nursing baby and your toddler wake up at the same time and are both ready to eat immediately?

This morning started with a glorious feeling as I woke up to Ryan kissing me goodbye and I realized it was 8:30am and I wasn't out of bed yet. Neither little boy had awaken for the day(Benson had gotten up 2 times in the night, though). This meant I could just snooze until I heard one of them.

I listened as Ryan shut the door. And then...wait for it...only seconds later(I'm dead serious about this) I hear two whimpers, from two different children, at almost exactly the same time. That glorious feeling was shattered!

Now, I have a big dilema. Benson is not that great at eating yet, and surely not good enough for me to sit at the kitchen table to nurse him while trying to feed Owen. Owen is a pretty good eater but not with a spoon yet. What do you eat at breakfast without a spoon that you don't have to prepare and that we have at the moment, since both children are ready at this point. My other problem is Owen dosen't like to sit in his chair for very long and he at least needs to sit in his chair and eat contentedly on his own for a 20 minute stretch or so.

Well, I'm scrounging around our kitchen trying to think of something that Owen can eat on his own. I find two clementine oranges (Owen loves them!) so I peel them, while holding crying Benson I might add. Owen also loves dry cereal, so I pour out a ton of Honey Nut Cheerios(I do mean a ton), hoping that will occupy him for awhile. These are two great things but they still aren't going to fill him up. Well, while scanning our kitchen my eyes fall on a box of donuts we have. Who labeled donuts as a breakfast food anyway, they are anything but nutrious and are totally a dessert food. I ponder on this fact for a while and think of the pros and cons. When I say a while I only mean about 10 seconds at most before pulling out a donut and putting it on Owen's plate. I want to add for the record that it was a plain donut without any frosting, powder, or glaze(this makes it a bit better of a choice, right?). And also, we usually don't have donuts around, it was a Valentine's Day treat.

So, Owen sits down, I put the oranges, cheerios, and donut on his tray with his cup of milk and he looks at me like he has hit the jackpot! He knows that donuts are, "Treats".

Owen eats contentedly and I feed Benson for...wait for it...40 minutes! It worked and everyone's tummies are content, except mine, but that was the last thing on my mind!

Well, I might be labeled as a BAD MOMMY by the nutrition world but in Owen's eyes I was the BEST thing that had ever happened to him! And no don't worry, I won't be giving my toddler donuts every morning, just every other one;)

By the way I am in LOVE with these two boys, lest you think my stressful morning changed my mind.


The first time Owen held Benson on his own. Don't you love their matching Pajamas?!

Brothers in their Valentine's Day shirts

6 comments:

  1. Definitely not a bad mommy, but a very very good mommy. My grandma used to give us ice cream for breakfast so at least you haven't hit htat point yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, as you add more children to your family, you will do much worse than feeding your child a donut for breakfast. It's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for handling two kids at once!! I really don't know how people do it, but you did and everyone was happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Brie, not bad, brilliant! What a great way to occupy him. I applaud your quick thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I think you're doing a fabulous job. I am so scared to have another child because I really don't know how to spread my time between two when i'm used to having one. Keep up the good work though. Those kids are lucky to have you and Ryan. And the donut--no big deal. Sometimes I like to eat donuts for breakfast too. =)

    ReplyDelete